Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Refine: To bring to a finer state

I can't imagine a world without music! It's a powerful vehicle. Music has the magical ability to fit any emotion we may have, deliver a message, or simply take us away from it all. 

One of the things I like best about music is how it can be a means of worshiping and reconnecting with God. I'll admit I'm not a full-time listener of Christian tunes. My iPod has lots of different genres of music, but lately I've rediscovered my love of some great Christian artists like Mark Shultz, Amy Grant, Jars of Clay, and Steven Curtis Chapman; just to name a few.

Jennifer Knapp is another one of my favorite Christian artists.  Her music is simple, straight forward and the messages are often very similar to what I want to say. This week I've been praying the words to one of Jennifer's songs. The message is just what I pray God will do in me- make me new in His image, REFINE me. Love the powerful words!

REFINE ME

I come into this place, 
burning to receive your peace
I come with my own chains, 
From wars I've fought for my own selfish gain.
You're my God and my Father. 
I've accepted your son.
But my soul feels so empty now
What have I become? 

Lord, come with your fire
Burn my desires REFINE me.
Lord my will has deceived me
Please come and free me. 
REFINE me. 

My heart can't see. 
When I only look at me. 
My soul can't hear. 
When I only think of my own fears. 
They are gone in a moment. 
You're forever the same. 
Why did I look away from You? 
How can I speak your name? 

Lord, come with your fire. 
Burn my desires REFINE me. 
Lord my will has deceived me
Please come and free me. 
Come rescue this child, 
For I long to be reconciled to You.
REFINE me, REFINE me, REFINE me...

REFINE me.


"For You have tried us, O God;  You have REFINED us as silver is REFINED." Psalm 66: 10


No comments:

Post a Comment